The Squash NZ Referee Pathway is being migrated over to the World Squash Officiating Framework. See WSO website for details https://worldsquashofficiating.com/
If you have the right skills then we'll help you achieve it. Whether you want to simply improve your rules knowledge, referee local matches or have ambitions to officiate at the highest level, there is a structure in place to help you get there. Referees are supported as they move through the pathway through events and via mentoring opportunities and are offered appraisals whenever possible.
The Squash NZ Officiating Pathway is documented here SNZ End to End Referee Pathway Final
Step 1: Club Referee - WSO Level 0 + Level 1 100%
Club referees can be expected to referee matches up to their own playing level but may be able to do higher levels depending on experience and ability. It must be recognised that no practical appraisal is completed for a club referee, and successful candidates should therefore be confident but still take care with the level of matches they choose to referee.
The Squash New Zealand Club Referee exam can be found here.
Players can enhance their knowledge by signing up to the WSO website and achieving Level 0 + 1 module competition, there is no officiating fee required to get to this stage.
It is currently being investigated whether the WSO Level 0 + 1 100% will eventually become the new Club Referee exam.
Step 2: District Referee - WSO Level 2
Level 1 Referees can go on & work towards being a WSO level 2 (District level) referee.
Level 2 Referees are required to:
- Submit Expression of Interest to Squash New Zealand - click here
- Achieve up to WSO Level 2 module completion
- Complete the practical assessments as per Referees Management Plan below.
- A summary of the requirements can be found here WSO Level 2 Referee Summary Requirements v2
- Upon completion of the relevant Level 2 practical requirements, SNZ Referee Director will request WSO Endorsement of the Referee
- Referee to pay fee for WSO Level 2
Step 3: National Referee - WSO Level 3
The WSO Level 3 is awarded to referees who have proved their ability and commitment at this level. Referees are required to:
- Have acheived WSO Level 2 and held this qualification for a minimum period of 12 months. Referees who show sufficient aptitude can be fast tracked.
- Complete the practical assessments as per the Referees Management Plan below.
- A summary of the requirements can be found here WSO Level 3 Referee Summary Requirements
- Upon completion of the relevant Level 3 practical requirements, SNZ Referee Director will request WSO Endorsement of the Referee
- Referee to pay fee for WSO Level 3
Step 4: Regional Referee WSO Level 4
Squash New Zealand supports qualified national Level 3 referees to progress towards WSO Level 4 (Regional) Referee status. Becoming a WSO Level 4 referee allows referees the opportunity to take part in Regional and other relevant international events.
Step 5: World Referee - WSO Level 5
WSO Level 4 referees who demonstrate exceptional skills and commitment must meet all the requirements detailed in the competency-based training and assessment programme for WSO Level 5 Referees.